Work Visa

A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions and business people it is not necessary.
You almost always have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply from inside or as you enter Canada.
To apply for a work permit, you must have:
  • a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
You must also do the following:
  • Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate.
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)
In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. Please see below the list of people that require a work permit but no labour market opinion:
Workers covered under international agreements
  • Professionals, traders, investors and business people coming to Canada to work under certain international agreements
Entrepreneurs and intra-company transferees
  • Some types of entrepreneurs, workers transferring within a company, and other types of workers who will provide significant benefit to Canadians or permanent residents by working in Canada
Participants in exchange programs
  • People whose employment in Canada will provide similar employment to Canadians abroad, such as participants in youth exchange programs, teacher exchange programs or other reciprocal programs
Co-op students
  • Foreign students who are studying in Canada and who need to do co-op work placements as part of their program of study
  • Spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign workers and of certain foreign students who are currently studying or working under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program . This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies.
Academics and students
  • Certain academics and students
Religious workers
  • People doing charitable or religious work
  • Certain people who need to support themselves while they are in Canada for other reasons such as the refugee determination process
Some temporary jobs in Canada may not require a work permit. You may not need a work permit if you fall into one of the following categories:
Business visitors, Foreign representatives ,Family members of foreign representatives , Military personnel , Foreign government officers, Students working on campus, Performing artists , Athletes and coaches, News reporters, Public speakers, Convention organizers, Clergy, Judges and referees, Examiners and evaluators, Expert witnesses or investigators, Health-care students, Civil aviation inspectors , Accident or incident investigators, Crew members, Emergency service providers
"I was very satisfied and happy with your services: your advice, your availability, and always trying to help in any way you can." - Olivia B(December 2008)