Information Technology Workers
To fill critical shortages in Canada's software industry, Canada has a simplified entry process for workers whose skills are in high demand in that industry.
Under this process, no confirmation letter from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) is necessary for specific jobs when hiring a foreign worker, since it will not have a negative impact on Canadian or permanent-resident job seekers and workers.
This means that if you are coming to Canada to work in one of the jobs listed below, you do not need a letter from HRSDC, and your work permit application may be processed more quickly.
  • Senior Animation Effects Editor (NOC 9990.1)
  • Embedded Systems Software Designer (NOC 9990.2)
  • MIS Software Designer (NOC 9990.3)
  • Multimedia Software Developer (NOC 9990.4)
  • Software Developer-Services (NOC 9990.5)
  • Software Products Developer (NOC 9990.6)
  • Telecommunications Software Designer (NOC 9990.7)
Temporary foreign workers wishing to take a position in Quebec must obtain a certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) in order to participate in this facilitated processing. Information for employers is available on the website of the Ministère de l'immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC).
Live-in Care Givers
For Live-in Care givers
Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.
You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live-In Caregiver Program in Canada. You will need:
  • A job confirmation letter from a Canadian employer
  • A written contract with your future employer
  • Successful completion of the equivalent of Canadian secondary school
  • At least six months' training, or at least one year of full-time experience (including six months with one employer) during the past three years
  • Good knowledge of English or French
  • A work permit before you enter Canada (to know how to apply for a work permit please visit the Working temporarily in Canada section
If you want to work as a live-in caregiver in the province of Quebec, you must obtain a certificate d'acceptation du Québec (Certificate of acceptance). For more information about this certificate, see the website of the ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (Quebec Immigration) at
If requirements are met, live-in caregivers can apply to become a permanent resident in Canada.
For Employers
As an employer, you must meet certain requirements before you can hire a foreign live-in caregiver.
To hire a live-in caregiver, you must:
  • have sufficient income to pay a live-in caregiver
  • provide acceptable accommodation in your home, and
  • make a job offer that has primary caregiving duties for a child or an elderly or disabled person. (A job offer for a housecleaner, for example, is not acceptable under the Program.)
  • have your offer of employment confirmed and get a positive labour market opinion (LMO)  from the department Human Recourses and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)
Caregivers will be carefully screened by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) visa officer before they enter Canada.
They must meet the eligibility requirements of the Live-in Caregiver Program. These include:
  • education
  • training or experience
  • the ability to understand English or French so that they can function on their own in an unsupervised setting
  • passing medical, security and criminal clearances, and
  • a formal signed contract with an employer.
CIC will determine if the employment contract is valid and if the caregiver receives a work permit.
You may be asked to show that you can provide the wages, benefits and working conditions required by provincial or territorial labour laws.
Business people
Business visitor is a separate category with separate requirements. Business visitors do not require a work permit. They may still need a temporary resident visa.
Business visitors do not need a work permit. They may still need a temporary resident visa.
A business visitor is someone who comes to Canada to engage in international business activities without directly entering the Canadian labour market.
Business visitors must prove the following:
  • their main source of payment is outside Canada and
  • their main place of business is outside Canada
Business people include certain people entering Canada under the following free trade agreements:
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Business people covered by NAFTA do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC).
This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by HRSDC to employ a United States or a Mexican business person, as set out in NAFTA.
Business people covered by NAFTA must, however, comply with the general provisions on temporary entry to Canada.
NAFTA applies to four specific categories of business people: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.
A professional must:
  • be qualified to work in one of the more than 60 professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of Chapter 16 of NAFTA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst, engineer, management consultant and technical publications writer) and
  • have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise in an occupation that matches the qualification.
An intra-company transferee must:
  • have worked continuously for at least one year in the preceding three years for the same or affiliated employer in the United States or Mexico
  • be transferred to Canada to work temporarily for the same or an affiliated employer and
  • work in a capacity that is managerial, executive or that involves specialized knowledge.
A trader or an investor must:
  • be seeking to carry out substantial trade in goods or services, mainly between Canada and her or his country of citizenship, or conduct substantial investment activities in Canada, in a supervisory or an executive capacity, or in a capacity that involves essential skills
  • meet additional requirements under NAFTA and
  • have a work permit.
Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)
The CCFTA is modelled on NAFTA and makes it easier for Canadian and Chilean citizens to temporarily enter each of the two countries.
The rules and requirements are similar to those under NAFTA and cover the four categories of business people: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.
General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
Under GATS, Canada has committed to making it easier for certain business people who are foreign service providers in certain sectors to access the Canadian market. The commitments apply to service providers from more than 140 World Trade Organization member countries.
Three categories of business people are covered: business visitors, professionals and intra-company transferees.
Qualified business people can enter Canada more easily because they do not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC or, in the case of business visitors, a work permit

"I was very satisfied and happy with your services: your advice, your availability, and always trying to help in any way you can." - Olivia B(December 2008)