Skilled Workers

Skilled workers are people who are selected as permanent residents based on their ability to become economically established in Canada.
Federal Skilled Workers Class
Federal skilled worker applications received on or after February 27, 2008 are now assessed for eligibility according to a set of instructions issued by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.
Your application is eligible for processing if:
  • you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
  • you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed below.
If your application is eligible for processing, you must also meet the following minimum requirements to qualify as a skilled worker:
  • you have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment, AND
  • your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list, AND
  • you must have had this experience within the last 10 years.
If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will then be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid. The six selection factors are:
  • your education
  • your abilities in English and/or French, Canada's two official languages
  • your work experience
  • your age
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability.
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.
The amount of money you need to support your family is determined by the size of your family. These amounts are updated every year.

Funds Required Until December 31, 2013

Number of Family Members Funds Required (Canadian Dollars)
1 $11,115
2 $13,837
3 $17,011
4 $20,654
5 $23,425
6 $26,419
7 or more $29,414

You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada.

List of eligible occupations for skilled workers applications (May 2013):
"    0211 Engineering managers
"    1112 Financial and investment analysts
"    2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
"    2131 Civil engineers
"    2132 Mechanical engineers
"    2134 Chemical engineers
"    2143 Mining engineers
"    2145 Petroleum engineers
"    2144 Geological engineers
"    2146 Aerospace engineers
"    2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
"    2154 Land surveyors
"    2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
"    2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
"    2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
"    3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
"    3142 Physiotherapists
"    3143 Occupational Therapists
"    3211 Medical laboratory technologists
"    3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
"    3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
"    3215 Medical Radiation Technologists
"    3216 Medical Sonographers
"    3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists
Canadian Experience Class
If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.
Applying to stay in Canada permanently in your case is simple. You can do this under the Canadian Experience Class.
You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:
  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • be either:
       - a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
       - a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
  • apply while working in Canada - or - within one year of leaving your job in Canada
According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
  • Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
  • Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
  • Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
Your application will be assessed on two requirements if you apply as a temporary foreign worker:
  • your work experience and
  • your ability in English or French.
If you apply as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience, it will be assessed using the above requirements, as well as:
  • your education.
Quebec-selected skilled workers Class
Quebec-selected skilled workers have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province of Quebec and establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada.
Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements and selects immigrants who will adapt well to living in Quebec. If you want to come to Canada as a Quebec-selected skilled worker, you must first apply to the Quebec government for a certificate of selection (Certificat de sélection du Québec).
After you have been selected by Quebec, you have to make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations.
Quebec-selected skilled workers are not assessed on the six selection factors of the Federal Skilled Workers Program.


"I was very satisfied and happy with your services: your advice, your availability, and always trying to help in any way you can." - Olivia B(December 2008)

Canada Immigration International has many years of experience assisting Skilled Workers to immigrate to Canada.

* If you are interested in having us perform a Free Assessment to determine if you qualify under the Skilled Worker program, Please Click Here

* If you would like to Ask a Question about applying under the Skilled Worker category, Please Click Here.

* If you would like to book a consultation session Contact us by telephone at 416-616-7979 or by email at